Monday, May 7, 2007

Left Behind

On Friday as we were gathering our things to leave the Orphanage, we were told that the Director was handling another situation across the hall. A mom had brought her 4 year old boy to the orphanage to be left there. The father was waiting in the car outside the Orphanage. I could see the looks on the face of Rayisa, the Director. It was somber, but a look of acceptance as this is how life is here. The little boy just kept saying, “I want my mom and I want to go home”!

I don’t have any other details on this child than that. I do know that typically 80% of children living in an Orphanage have parents, but they can’t take care of them due to economic reasons or substance abuse problems in the home. It almost seems too easy. If life gets too tough, it’s just easier to leave your child with the government and let them take care of them. Maybe this boy will have future contact with his family and maybe not. It’s a poor choice for parents to choose to let their child grow up in an Orphanage.

It was sad to leave the Orphanage today and even sadder to see this child being added among the number of kids at this institution. Pray with me that this child will adjust, make friends, and that we will be able to impact his life during our visits in the future. I know it will be hard to do, but pray for his parents as well. I don’t know their situation, but God does and He is in control.

No comments: