Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Crimson Sail Shelter, April 15

On Wednesday, Anya and I went to shelter that she and Nancy Durrett visited when Nancy was here in March. Anya had made connections with this place and it was right around the corner from one of the Road of Life Transition Homes. It’s a small shelter called “The Crimson Sail”. They are a part of the ministry started in 1971 called “Mission Possible” begun out of Denton, Texas!

Quickly we found the place and began our visit. Vadim is the director and he and his wife are the house parents for this shelter that looks more like a family home than anything else. They have a capacity for 8 kids, but at that time had just 5 school-aged children. We visited a while and then we all sat at the table for a snack and some tea while Vadim and I continued to talk about the ministry. Since our time was short, I could see that the kids quickly finished their snack and were listening to the English being spoken at the table. I used that opportunity to engage the kids in some quick crafts.

In my satchel I had planned a few crafts depending on how the time went. I introduced them to a little eye opener and little trick with a ribbon and a couple of paper clips. Then we did some scratch art crosses and I gave them some Gospel Bead bracelets and explained the meaning of each bead as I shared the Gospel. The kids seemed to really enjoy the visit and they were happy to see Anya return. I will return to this shelter hopefully one more time before I go back to the USA. This was a great shelter with a sweet group of kids and staff that I look forward to doing ministry with in the future!

No comments: