Monday, October 8, 2007

It's Russia!



I hear it time and time again from the folks that live here… “It’s Russia” every time something doesn’t work out right or there is a degree of inconvenience. This past Friday, our last day of ministry at Child in Danger, this phrase was said more often than I would have liked to hear. Friday was a tough day in Russia.

That morning began by calling to see when the rest of the backpack we requested would be delivered. I wanted to give away 25 of them to the kids at Child in Danger on our last day. We had teddy bears and little flashlights to put inside as our “memory gift” as they call it here. That call started a serious of calls, call backs, and threats of me cancelling the order. They wanted to deliver the whole order at 4pm on Friday to the MIR office. Well, I was going to be at Child in Danger (across town) and would have no backpacks to hand out. After threats to cancel and them whining that they couldn’t do it, the business agreed to deliver all 140 backpacks to Child in Danger. Well, at least I could hand them out, but then we had to transport them out of Child in Danger and back to the MIR office. Then I heard those words… “It’s Russia!”

We didn’t get the invoice until 1:15pm. I needed to be at the metro at 1:45pm to meet a guest that would be helping that day. I didn’t have time for lunch and needed to exchange money now that I knew the final price. I also need to go to the hardware store to pick up some caulk for their craft project and batteries for their little flashlight gifts. I was supposed to do that the day before, but you know “It’s Russia” and things didn’t work out that day.

I made it to Child in Danger in time to briefly meet with Dasha and Sergey to review our plans for the day, the main part which was to share the Gospel! We were ready to begin at our appointed time at 3pm. Just as we are getting ready to start, the backpacks arrive. I’ve got to delay and unload the car holding 6 large boxes and pay the driver the amount of the invoice. We didn’t get started until 3:30pm. Oh, and then I heard those words again, “It’s Russia!”

It was Friday and the kids were used to us by now. That’s a good thing, but it also relaxed their discipline and chaos was about to begin. We started off with our Bible Study and an activity that has worked wonderfully with elementary kids in Sunday School before, but it didn’t work here. It was the “Index Card Walk Through”. The idea was to cut up an index card in a certain way so that it could be opened up and they could walk through. It was a visual way to demonstrate how what seemed impossible before is possible with God. Well, the kids were anxious to get on with the activity and would think they knew what to cut next. They didn’t and didn’t wait for the instructions. Half of the kids quit out of frustration and began throwing the leftover paper. Then I was told, “It’s Friday and It’s Russia!”

The crafts didn’t go much better and the caulk I had bought to use in place of the grout for miniature tiles arranged on a wooded cross trivet, didn’t turn out as planned. I know… don’t say it… I’ve heard it all day! However the kids loved the spin art project and would line up just to do that. Some did two or three of these, but claiming not to have done one at all! I thought the cross trivets would be their best and favorite craft activity. But of course, “It’s Russia” I’m told!

The day was over and the kids scattered. I now needed to get the rest of the backpacks to MIR. We had requested a Taxi and it arrived at the appointed time, but the driver refused to take the boxes in his car, even though the dispatch was told that we needed to transport boxes. The driver left and we scrambled to find another taxi. About 45 minutes later another taxi arrives and agrees to take the boxes. Sergey rode with the driver as there is no room for me and one ministry bag that also needed to return to MIR. I left 10 minutes later to take the metro to MIR and drag the ministry suitcase through the subway. I arrived at the MIR apartment and called Sergey. They were stuck in traffic. I had given him the key as normally he would have arrived earlier. I waited on the steps for about 30 minutes as the words echoed in my mind, “It’s Russia”!

I was exhausted, hungry, and felt defeated. Satan had His way that day and I never did get to share the Gospel, which in my mind is the whole point in being there. Most of the kids had never heard about God or Jesus before and so they needed a lot more basic information. Seeds were planted, the truth was shared, and God and Christ were introduced. We were “Jesus with skin on” and we loved on the kids and they were anxious to be around us and play. Certainly, we “…visited the orphans in their distress…“, but I didn’t get to share. I was disappointed, but I know I was following what God had wanted me to do… but it still feels like I failed. I’d like to paint a rosy picture of life on a SAC mission trip, but the reality of it is that it can be hard and difficult. After all, “It’s Russia”!

No comments: