Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Weekend at Sosnovo



A train trip to Sosnovo is always interesting. Sergey and I had made plans to go to Sosnovo again to meet with the director of the Day Center. It took me about an hour by metro to reach the train station. It was cold and when I arrived we had about 30 minutes before the train departed. On one of these trains called an “Elechka” which means it goes to a suburban area and is not for long distances. That is good as these trains have no heat, no bathroom, and wooden benches to sit on!

These trains stop every 3-4 miles to pick up passengers at stops along the way. I timed how long the train stayed at several of these stops. Passengers waiting to get on have 10-15 seconds to enter the door before the doors close and the train moves on. I saw some that didn’t make it as sometimes the doors are crowded with people and there isn’t enough time to get on. I guess the folks who don’t make it will have to wait 2-3 hours for the next train to come by!

After several stops, there was standing room only. Sergey and I were lucky to get seats for this hour and 20 minute ride. At one stop a man and wife came on board. They were standing near the f=door. We began to notice that the older man was sick and pale. Sergey offered his seat so he could sit down. His wife, a passenger sitting across from me, and I helped him off with his jacket. He looked like he barely had a pulse or was overheated. We tried to cool him down and fan him. All I could do is pray silently and ask God to help him. Soon I saw more movement and he slowly began to talk a little, but he was still week. Several stops before we got off he and his wife departed the train with the help of the man sitting across from me. Sometimes in situations like this I wish there was more I could do practically for a person, however sometimes the best thing we can do is pray, even though we are sitting right next to them.

Sergey and I arrived and went to a small store to buy some cookies and tea. It’s tradition here to bring something like this when you are invited as a guest to a home. We went to the home of Valentina. She had hosted us last April for a week and again the weekend before this when we visited the Sosnovo Orphanage. She had a big lunch prepared for us. Truly, we have been blessed by her and her hospitality. After lunch we all left to go to the Day Center for a meeting.

I had wanted to find out specific needs of the Day Center, the Church, and their program there. I was asking a lot of questions about how much things cost and to help with estimates on certain things. However, I had to be careful to set expectations. I had to explain that just because I was asking these questions, didn’t mean I was going to get all these things in the next month or two. Sometimes Russians that work in social institutions have the expectation that the American will buy these things for them just because they are asking about it. I had to explain that I needed a list of things and how much they cost, and then maybe Americans will see this need and the cost and want to participate. It’s a difference of perspective and it has to be carefully managed.

Our meeting lasted about three and a half hours. We shared ideas about woodworking to engage the older boys and ceramics to expand what they are already doing with plaster. All these ideas were to help bring light into this community where 80% of the youth are involved in drugs due to lack of positive activities and positive male role models. Sergey translated all the way and did a good job. By the end, everyone was tired of all my questions, but it was an excellent meeting and I learned a lot about the needs of this church and Day Center.

After the meeting we got on a Marchucka bus to go across town to Valentina’s home where we were staying. By coincidence, we ran into Rayisa, the director of the Sosnovo Orphanage. She was on her way to a second job. I had been asked earlier in the week to ask a couple of questions about the boy being adopted from there by an American couple that found our website on the internet seeing we worked in Sosnovo. I had been talking to them over the last several months. I only had moments to ask my questions, but she responded quickly and then got off at her stop. She had told me that the couple’s court date to finalize the adoption was at the end of the month. When I wrote them and e-mail when I got back to St. Petersburg, they told me that just hours later after getting my e-mail, the adoption agency called and told them the court date! I should add here that I don’t believe in coincidence. I think coincidence for believers is where God chooses to be anonymous. In this case, I think God chose the timing precisely and the concerns for future adoptive parents were relieved.

That evening we spent time back at Valentina’s home. Her son Stass had a lot of questions about religion and denomination differences. We agreed to meet later in the week when I could get a translator and someone to help explain those difference is his own language. I hope to meet with him Wednesday or Thursday of this week.

The next morning we went to church that started at noon and ended at about 2pm, which is typical for a Russian church. We also had communion. Bread that looked about the size of a pancake was broken and the pieces passed around by the pastor. We all drank from one cup with real wine, not grape juice as we do in the states. No, the pastor didn’t have to go back to the alter and refill the cup after handing it to me!

Our train left at 3pm. We had enough time after church to make a few greetings, drink some tea and head off to the train station. This time, the train started in Sosnovo, so Sergey and I had our choice of seats. However, it quickly filled up as the train made more stops. Soon it was crowded again and people standing in the aisles. We arrived back in St. Petersburg a little before 5pm where in time to have dinner with three of my four kids. Tanya was working and couldn’t join us that evening.

Yes, a train trip to Sosnovo is always interesting. You don’t know who you will meet, who you will help, or what seeds of Christian faith and deeds will be planted along the way. Certainly, I think in time we will find that our trip was not a coincidence in God’s plan.

No comments: