Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Broken Door - Thu, Apr 24

I was sitting with Nadezhda, director of the Day Center, and she told me the story that had recently happened with a couple of the young boys attending the Day Center activities. Nadezhda was cleaning up one evening and went into a closet in the Day Center to put away a few things. There she found these two boys praying. The boys were startled and Nadezhda asked what they were praying about. They said they were playing and had accidentally broken the door of their neighbor’s apartment. They were terrified that the police were going to come after them and they would be in terrible trouble. They were praying for God to help them.

Nadezhda talked with them and prayed with them about the matter. She called the neighbor and she agreed for the boys to come and do the repairs on the door. Whatever they did to break the door, these 10 and 11 year old boys went and made the proper repairs to the satisfaction of the their neighbor. They were relieved and the matter had gone away.

About the time Nadezhda had finished her story, the same two boys came into the room where we were having tea. Nadezhda told them that she had just told the story to me. The boys smiled shyly and I saw an opportunity… I asked them, “I heard about your prayer. Did God answer your prayer?” They nodded and smiled in agreement. I wanted them to connect the forgiveness they had received from their neighbor directly with their prayer and coming to God. I wanted them to remember this occasion and imprint that upon their lives. I think it did!

No comments: