Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Russian Coin

Two of our trip participants to Sosnovo were Greg and Susan Furr. As we were walking through the streets and paths of Sosnovo, Russia, Susan noticed discarded coins along the way and would pick them up. These discarded coins are called “Kopeks”. These are the “cents” or the fractions of the Russian ruble. The one is this picture is the lowest value of them all. It is 1/100’s of a ruble. You would need 2,300 of these coins to make up one US dollar at the current exchange rate. Russians see many of these coins as not valuable enough to make the effort to bend over and pick it up. It seems it’s the same way with the Russian orphan.

On the plane heading back home to the USA, Greg and Susan wrote these words to put on a prayer card with one of the coins found on the streets of Sosnovo as a prayer reminder for the orphans living there.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Russian Coin

I lay here on the street forgotten and unused, people walking over me, with mud and dirt encasing me so that I am scarcely recognizable as something of value. I was made to be appreciated but someone decided I was of little worth so I have been tossed aside onto a path well trodden to be crushed into the muck and grime of my surroundings.

Now by God’s grace, someone has found me and picked me up. I am no longer a monetary means to purchase goods but now serve the greater purpose as a reminder to PRAY.

I have been transformed into this reminder that all over this world, orphaned children of all ages are cast aside and labeled as having little or no value.

The Father in heaven, though, has not forgotten them.

Each time you look at this coin remember to mentally 'pick-up' the orphans of Russian and pray that God will send His light into their live and for God’s love to be revealed to them.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“…whoever gives one of these little ones even a cup of cold water… will by no means lose his reward.” - Mathew 10:42

No comments: