Monday, October 27, 2008

I'm Sad

We visited Children’s Hospital #15 on Wednesday, October 15th. Several young kids were there and anxious to participate with us as we did crafts together. One girl, age 12 was sitting and doing the craft. I could tell by her face that she was sad. I could only imagine. I know that this hospital is for kids who are off the streets, abandoned, or brought her by the authorities after being found. I was sure that she had a life story that begun and ended in sadness. We could only help by spending time with her to give her a since of hope.

Vica, the SAC Program Manager here in St. Petersburg was with us to help guide our team and help with translation. I saw her sit next to the girl who sat all alone from the rest of the group. Vica talked to her for a while as she worked on the craft we had that day. Vica asked her how she was and she replied, “I’m sad”. It was a good sign that Vica was able to listen to her talk and tell Vica her problems. The two sat there for a long time and shared. I think it was good for the little girl to talk to someone about it. It’s difficult, but the staff there knows about these problems, but don’t always have time to sit and just listen. Vica did this and I’m sure it helped.

Later the next week, Nancy Durrett had taken a group from Child in Danger on an outing to go bowling. I met Nancy at the bowling alley to be with her and the kid’s from this shelter. As we were getting to our lanes to bowl, I saw a girl I immediately recognized. It was the girl from Children’s Hospital #15 that we had seen the week before. She had been transferred to the Child in Danger Shelter. I went to her and told her I remembered her from the hospital. I asked her how she was. She replied, “I’m sad”. I patted her shoulder and nodded that I understood her, although I could never fully know how she was feeling. Nevertheless, she participated and this was her first bowling experience. She seemed somewhat happy to participate with us. At least I know that for a short time, she enjoyed something that took her mind off of feeling sad and not knowing her future. In a few months, she will likely go to an orphanage. When she leaves Child in Danger, I’m sure she will feel sadness. Please pray for this sad young girl and her uncertain future as she looks for the hope through the eyes of Christians that, for a short time, listened and brought the love of Christ into her life.

No comments: