Friday, October 31, 2008

The Pickpocket

Unfortunately, there are people in this city that will take your things. They will look for an opportunity to take something of yours even if it’s zipped in your backpack, in your front pocket, or something left on the table while you are looking away. They are not dangerous criminals. They don’t want a scene or to be noticed. They will deny they even tried. Who can prove it that it was their intention?

It’s more typical that pickpockets work inside the metro system. They look for opportunities to take something by pushing in a crowded subway or getting on and off. Sometimes they work in teams and other times just alone. You can usually spot a pickpocket. They are the ones that are not carrying anything in their hands and try to look unnoticed. Of course, a group of Americans on the subway stands out. We had one follow us the other day.

Our team had just come down the escalator and we lined up beside one of the metro doors to get ready to enter when the subway came and the doors opened. When we stopped and lined up, I noticed a man that was not carrying anything casually move from one metro door to our door and get behind some of us. I did a stare down to let him know I was aware what he was trying to do. I instructed the team to move to one side when we got on the metro. My eyes were on the location of his hands the whole time. He knew I was there, nevertheless he was looking for an opportunity. He stayed with us until our stop and got off with us. He attempted to casually go through the middle of our group, again looking for an opportunity. I told the team to halt and they all stopped. He continued, as he didn’t want to be noticed. Stopping helped. As I stood with my team, I watched as he went down some stairs and out of site. Nothing was taken, but that’s not always the case.

One evening we took the kids from the Child in Danger Shelter for an excursion to go bowling and to eat at McDonalds. I met the group with my kids Tanya and Masha at the bowling alley. We had a great time and the kids really enjoyed the outing. We had to check our jackets, but I took out all my valuables to put on me before checking. After bowling, we got our jackets and went to McDonalds in a food court in that mall. We all sat together and I usually sit in a place when I can watch my back and keep an eye on the team. After eating my meal, I went to another table and sat to talk to some other adults from another ministry that came with us. My satchel was in my lap, but I put my jacket over my chair while I talked. My pocket computer was in my left front pocket and my camera in my right front pocket. At one point, we took at group picture. I continued to sit in my chair while the picture was taken. After a few minutes we began to get ready to leave. As I put on my jacket, I checked for my valuable s in my jacket. My camera was missing. It was not where it was supposed to be. Although I’m not sure, recounting my steps and where I had my camera last, I believe that while the group photo was being taken, the four young people sitting behind me used that as an opportunity for one of them to slip a hand into my jacket and steal my camera.

What was surprising to me is that most of the local people just look at that incident as “normal”. They say, “It happens here”. For them it is life here. Even as careful as I am and knowing what to look for, a moments distraction can lead to a loss of personal belongings.

As missionaries, we are sheep in the mists of wolves. Although I’m personally angry, it does not deter me from doing what God has commanded of me to go and share… and bring others with me. I’ve been told that some short-term missionaries who have something stolen, never come back. God willing, I will come back and I won’t be afraid. I’ll just be more careful where I put my jacket!

No comments: