Friday, April 13, 2007

Look Who I Found!


This afternoon I spent at "The Harbor", a transition home for graduate orphans. SAC has been working with them for about 4 years now. They have two apartments. One for girls and one for boys. There are 9 guys and about 8 girls in their respective apartments. When I come to St. Petersburg, I have been in the practice of coming to the boys apartment to teach some life skills. Their biggest interst has been in woodworking, although I've taught Self Defense at times too.

This evening I had hoped to start our project of building a shoe rack to be used in the entryway. Sasha, one of the mentors at the boys apartment, and I went to a coule of different stores just to find the wood we needed for the project. After a couple of hours, we were only able to find the posts for this project. The boys will go later to find the rest of the wood. In the meantime, we went back to the apartment where Gosha was preparring a meal for the home. We all sat together and ate a cold soup and then for the second course, a mixture of red cooked cabbage and some meat. I'm not sure what the Russian name for this is, but it was good!

After dinner I was getting ready to leave and a boy came into the kitchen where Sasha and I were talking. The boy's name was Sasha as well, but I've known hom for years as "Tall Sasha", one fo the boys from Nancy Durrett's group in Orphanage #14! I was excited to see him and pleased to see him at The Harbor! Vanya, another boy I knew from Orphanage #14 is also there and was there this past October. I've seen both of these guys grow up over the years at #14 and now at The Harbor. This picture was taken today. It's been a tradition for "Tall Sasha and I to take our pictures back-to-back for several years now. When we first started this, he was a little taller than my shoulder. But now look! He's several inches taller than me!

What a blessing it is to watch these guys grow up and become fine young men working hard to prepare a life for themselves! And through "The Harbor" transition home they are growing "Tall" in the Lord!

1 comment:

Serch said...

Привет Папочка,

Спасибо тебе,за все,что ты для нас делаешь!Спасибо за молитвы об будущей операции,спасибо за помощь,Люблю тебя!

Твой сын,
Сергей