Sunday, April 29, 2007

Sergey’s Dilemma


My son Sergey has been working with SAC the entire time I’ve been here either as a translator or helping us to arrange different things I need throughout the trip. It’s something he has always done for the last several years. It’s been a great help to me and this ministry.

During my time here I am leading the mission trips and also spending time with my kids and helping them with their life issues. It’s very demanding on my time and I get reminders that they only see me once every 6 months and want to spend time with me. I do my best, but I’m stretched.

Sergey has decided to move to a city called Rostov. I’ve been helping him for the last couple of months to make those arrangements, move his things down there, and help him start a new life there where he will finish his last year of high school and begin to take university level courses. I’m encouraged by his plan and excited for him to complete his education to include graduating from a university.

The university evidently needs documentation showing registry with the Army. Here in Russia the Army is compulsory. Once he turns 18, the Army requires him to serve for 1-2 years unless he is in school. It’s something that Russian males here avoid like the plague, but university attendance is usually out of financial reach of the majority of Russians.

This Army registration process starts when he is about 16 years old with medical exams and various appointments with the Army in the registration process. Some of this was taken care of but other parts were not because of his legal status where the shelter Child in Danger had guardianship.

I’ve learned that during the time he left home and Child in Danger held guardianship, Army paperwork was mailed to his home address and his Mom probably didn’t get these important papers forwarded to him. As a result, his paperwork was not processed correctly and he doesn’t have the proper document that the university needs for his official enrollment.

The document was legally and easily generated prior to his 18th birthday, but now that he is 18, he is required to enter the Army if he is not in school. He can’t get in school without the other document. So it’s a quagmire of conflicting regulations that sometimes contradict each other and common sense.

I’ve met with a Christian attorney here to discuss the issue. The documents needed to get him properly registered so he can register this fall in school can be produced in a couple of months but will cost me about $1600 in attorney fees. It doesn’t make sense in my mind that I have to pay an attorney to right a wrong in Russian law, but this is the system here.

It’s a dilemma for me and I covet your prayers. This is just one example of the problems I have here. There are many others I encounter while trying to raise 4 kids, support them as their dad, all from 8000 miles away. Please pray for me to handle this problem and all the other problems with wisdom, grace, and endurance.

No comments: