Friday, April 20, 2007

Tragedy in Walter's Group in Orphanage #24


On Thursday, we arrived at the Orpahange at about 2pm. We all went to our activity room to gather our things. We had prayer and I dismissed the participants to their small groups. Soon after that I waled around checking on each of the groups. I went to Walter's group and saw a circle of chairs, one translator, and no kids.

They had just found out that one of the kids in thier small group got into an argurment with a teacher about weather he could leave that day. The teacher said no and the 18 year old boy decided to crawl through a window and jump fro the 2nd floor. I'm sure he thought he could make it, but he didn't. he landed, hit his head, and from what I understood, had a concusion. An ambulense came to pick him up.

As I sat there learning of this story, several of the kids began to come back to the classroom. the teacher/counselor came in briefly and asked us to stay with the kids until 5pm. One girl was crying as she was a close freind of this boy. It was a somber time.

I sat with the kids and talked to them about this. I did my best to comfort them and ask questions about Andre, the boy who jumped and was taken to the hospital. They said nothing like that had ocurred before. I'm glad we were there to comfort them. I asked the kids if they would join me in praying for Andre. They all joined in and prayed as I led. After prayer, I encouraged them to listen to Walter as he led the rest of their activities and for each of them to make a card for Andre expressing their concern for him. They all did this and they got through the next couple of hours.

It was difficult for the kids and for us since we were new friends. they knew we were concerned and I think it helped them to know that we cared. I'll be anxious to hear how Andre is doing when we return today. Please pray for his recovery.

No comments: